The choice of filling is completely up to you. I used avocado (because I literally cannot get enough of the stuff), red pepper, carrot and cucumber, however you could also use tofu, tempeh, mooli, asparagus, spring onion........the choice is yours. Be creative with it!
YIELD: 4 sushi rolls
EQUIPMENT NEEDED: sushi rolling mat
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 inches cucumber, cut into thin battons
- 1 carrot, julienned or cut into thin battons
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 sheets nori (flat seaweed used for the outer skin of the sushi)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp agave syrup/brown rice syrup/maple syrup
Firstly you need to cook the quinoa. Put the quinoa in a saucepan and add 1 cup of water, bring to the boil and reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 15 mins or until the grains are soft and all the water has been absorbed. Once the quinoa is cooked add the rice wine vinegar, tamari and syrup of your choice and mix together. Leave to cool for a little while.
While the quinoa is cooling, use this time to prep your desired veggies for the filling. The thinner you slice the easier it will be to roll.
Serve with tamari as a dipping sauce.